Dont know if i have set it up right?

Feb 24, 2009 at 6:10 AM
I'm having a little bit of trouble getting it installed.  I thought evertyhing went ok, but it doesnt seem to be doing anything.

I went though  the instructions, adding the agent, setting priority and then enabling. (followed by service restarts).  It seems to be in and running.

[PS] C:\Windows\System32>get-transportagent

Identity                                           Enabled         Priority
--------                                           -------         --------
PmE12Transport                               True            1
Transport Rule Agent                         True            2
Journaling Agent                                 True            3
AD RMS Prelicensing Agent               False           4
CatchAll Agent                                   True            5
Connection Filtering Agent                  True            6
Content Filter Agent                            True            7
Sender Id Agent                                  True            8
Sender Filter Agent                              True            9
Recipient Filter Agent                           True            10
Protocol Analysis Agent                        True            11
PmE12Protocol                                     True            12

I have edited the config file for my domain and catchall address, but whenever i send something I get a... 

#550 5.1.1 RESOLVER.ADR.RecipNotFound; not found ##

I'm not sure exactly how that trace stuff works so im not sure how to pull info out of that.

Any pointers on how I can get some more info on whats going wrong?

Cheers. Nat

Coordinator
Feb 24, 2009 at 7:37 AM
Nat,

Is the 550 because the addressed recipient did not get rewritten, or is is because the rewritten address is a bad address?

Wilbert
Feb 24, 2009 at 7:57 AM
Edited Feb 24, 2009 at 11:54 PM
Hmmm, I'm still finding my sea legs with all of this, but I believe the first case, since the NDR has the original non-existent address on it, not the catchall address.  eg.
-----

Diagnostic information for administrators:

 

Generating server: SBS2008.<mydomain>.local

 

doesnotexist@<mydomain>.com.au
#550 5.1.1 RESOLVER.ADR.RecipNotFound; not found ##

 -----

I just sent a test email directly to the catchall address and it went through ok. So I'm pretty sure its just not redirecting the non existant address.
Feb 25, 2009 at 12:49 AM
Edited Feb 25, 2009 at 12:53 AM
ah ha!  Looks like it IS working!  I got caught out by the local thing.  Thought the client I was testing from was from an offsite account, but it was setup off ours, so any test email I was sending was being delivered localy, not from an external domain (and if what I have interpreted from other discussions here it only works on mail comming though the SMTP gateway, not localy delived etc). 

Once I tried again from another loaction it has worked fine.