No "Recipient Filtering Agent" in the list?

Feb 18, 2009 at 10:18 PM
As I understand it, you can run the CatchAllAgent on both Edge Transport Role or Hub Transport Role?

But when I run get-transportagent I don't have any "Recipient Filtering Agent". Only the list below. Will it work and which priority should I put it to? Since it's a production system I don't want to play around too much.

Identity                                           Enabled         Priority
--------                                           -------         --------
ScanMail Routing Agent                             True            1
Transport Rule Agent                               True            2
Journaling Agent                                   True            3
AD RMS Prelicensing Agent                          False           4

Could it be the TrendMicro Antivirus? On another server where we run McAfee:

Identity                                           Enabled         Priority
--------                                           -------         --------
Transport Rule Agent                               True            1
Journaling Agent                                   True            2
AD RMS Prelicensing Agent                          False           3
McAfeeTxAgent                                      True            4
McAfeeTxRoutingAgent                               True            5

Coordinator
Mar 1, 2009 at 12:10 AM

Hello Jonas,

The Hub server role doesn't do recipient filtering by default. It does that by design later in the pipeline (Categorize), when it resolves the recipients so when a user is not found in the AD, it will generate and NDR.

Yes it will work on a Hub server but there is a catch. It will only work when a message comes in ovr SMTP. That means that if a message was submitted by a local user in the same AD site with OWA or Outlook, it doesn't get into the Hub server through SMTP (but through MAPI). That means it doesn't get handled by the CatchAllAgent.

That might not be a problem though, since CatchAll is mostly there to redirect messages from people that don't know whom they are sending to, which are those external to the organization, but from whom messages do get in through SMTP.

-Wilbert
Mar 1, 2009 at 11:11 AM
Since it's the incoming SMTP e-mails we want to get with the CatchAllAgent - it's perfect.

So it doesn't really matter in which priority we put the CatchAllAgent, it will work anyway?
Coordinator
Mar 1, 2009 at 1:49 PM

>So it doesn't really matter in which priority we put the CatchAllAgent, it will work anyway?

Yes it should.

- Wilbert

To: [email removed]
Date: Sun, 1 Mar 2009 04:11:10 -0800
Subject: Re: No "Recipient Filtering Agent" in the list? [catchallagent:47542]

Since it's the incoming SMTP e-mails we want to get with the CatchAllAgent - it's perfect.

So it doesn't really matter in which priority we put the CatchAllAgent, it will work anyway?
Read the full discussion online.
To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (catchallagent@discussions.codeplex.com)
To start a new discussion for this project, email catchallagent@discussions.codeplex.com
You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe or change your settings on codePlex.com.
Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com

Hotmail® is up to 70% faster. Now good news travels really fast. Find out more.