Uninstalled Catchall Agent capturing email

May 22, 2012 at 5:03 PM

I have installed the catchall agent and then uninstalled it. A problem I am having now is people sending email to valid email addresses are getting an NDR stating that catchall is not a valid mailbox. Somehow something is redirecting some, nnot all valid email to catchall but it doe snot exist. The agent doe snot show up anymore as it is uninstalled an di have no related files fromit left on the server. Anyone have any ideas? As a side not after disabling and moving it down in priority it was still catching some, but not all email.

Coordinator
May 23, 2012 at 3:11 PM

Make sure the catchall agent is not listed in the agents.config file, and restart MSExchangeTransport.

May 23, 2012 at 6:09 PM

I have confirmed that the catchall agent is not listed in the agents.config file.

Coordinator
May 24, 2012 at 6:44 AM
And you restarted the MSExchangeTransport service? If this agent isn’t loaded, it can’t be redirecting anything. Do the message tracking logs confirm the redirection happened?
Sent: Wednesday, May 23, 2012 10:09 AM
To: [email removed]
Subject: Re: Uninstalled Catchall Agent capturing email [catchallagent:356726]

I have confirmed that the catchall agent is not listed in the agents.config file.

May 24, 2012 at 3:31 PM
wilbertdg wrote:
And you restarted the MSExchangeTransport service? If this agent isn’t loaded, it can’t be redirecting anything. Do the message tracking logs confirm the redirection happened?
Sent: Wednesday, May 23, 2012 10:09 AM
To: [email removed]
Subject: Re: Uninstalled Catchall Agent capturing email [catchallagent:356726]

MSExchangeTransport service has been restarted. I can see the agent and the recipient set as catchall even after an uninstall. I can see the mail come in and the SMTP agent sees it as going to the correct mailbox but then below it will show the catchall agent and the catchall mailbox name. For now I have enabled the catchall mailbox and forwarded it to a valid user's box. They are getting email tha tis sent to non valid addresses so I can only assume somehow it is still working.