Eksternal only ?

Jun 10, 2008 at 3:32 PM
Hi,
The agent works very well when using it from external users,
and when the mail arrive trough the SMTP service in Exchange 2007.

Have tried using it on a hub transport server to catch all internal
mail for a domain from other internal Exchange receipients, using Outlook or OWA.
Even when the catchall mailbox and users mailbox are located on different
server's the agent don't triggger (it's not using SMTP when delivering mail, but the STOREDRIVE)
When sending from an external mailserver/user - it works.

So, as I understand this in not possible at all !
Could someone verify my assumption ?
Could this be done using other solutions ?

Regards
Roy K

Coordinator
Aug 22, 2008 at 6:04 AM

Hello Roy,

This agent is definitely designed to handle messages come in from external domains.

Otherwise it's definitely more challenging. The reason is that it would have to be done at a different event (OnSubmittedMessage), and we'd need to check the AD for every recipient. Otherwise HUB will NDR those recipients that it could not find and send an NDR before the agent would be triggered.

What is the reason you want this also to happen for inernal submissions? (In case someone left, redirect them?)

-Wilbert

Dec 3, 2008 at 1:06 AM
Hi Wilbert

I have the same problem which 'rkn' has mentioned above - we would really like this service to work for all mail, including mail sent within our Exchange organisation.

This is because we run Microsoft Exchange Server 2007 as the platform for our Hosted Exchange Service, and have hundreds of different domains within one Exchange organisation.

Is there any way that this can be tweaked to literally "catch-all" mail regardless of it being from the Internet, or internally?

I was of the understanding that MS developed the Hub Transport role to provide a facility where all mail passes, as this was a major flaw in Exchange 2003.

With this in mind, shouldn't this make a genuine "catch all" available?

Many thanks for your work so far though, it is a great little tool.

Kind regards
Victor
Coordinator
Jan 24, 2009 at 6:40 PM

Hello Victor,

How would you use catchall for internal mail flow?

Wilbert
Jan 26, 2009 at 7:57 PM
Hi Wilbert

Thanks for your reply.

We host mail for approximately 140 domains, which means that the catchall does not work mail going to and from these domains.

Cheers
Victor
Coordinator
Jan 27, 2009 at 4:35 PM

Victor,

Do you mean mail between these 140 organization doesn't work with CatchAll?

I mean it does work for mail coming in from the Internet (=through SMTP) I'd think.

But why would you want CatchAll to work for messages between these? End users can immediately tell whether the address in another hosted organization is valid, no?

-Wilbert

Jan 28, 2009 at 6:38 AM
Edited Jan 28, 2009 at 6:43 AM

Hi,

I agree that catch-all within one domain is silly. But for instance in a hosting environment as we have, the customers are separated by AL and GAL, and can therefore not see each other.

We are trying to tell people why catch-all is a bad idea to begin with, but when people are merging from POP3 systems, it's often a feature they have grown to depend on.

-Jakob